Friday, April 25, 2008

Perspective....Choice words...











Since having children, many things have been put into perspective. The ever present "Why?" makes you have to wonder why we really have to do things this way or that way. The common parent answer, "Because I said so", sometimes works but doesn't always make the grade for an ever inquisitive 3 year old. Zachary is always wanting to know why things happen a certain way or are taking place. For instance, it was raining and he wanted to know why it was raining and why today and not tomorrow. After having worked a long day, my quick answer was because God decided that it was time for some rain. After that answer, Zachary said his ever popular "why". To my slight frustration, I answered him, "just because". Well to this 3 year old, that wasn't a good answer and decided that he didn't like God because he didn't want it to rain for whatever reason. Needless to say, for the next 20 to 30 minutes, I had a discussion about that he shouldn't be mad at God for letting it rain and that the rain was good for the grass, flowers, etc. Zachary and myself have had many such discussions making me have to really be more thoughtful about what comments I make. Zachary really does make life interesting and there is no doubt that his brain is always at work trying to figure things out or ofcourse thinking of new and clever ways of getting into mischief. I know that the now and future are going to hold many more conversations with not only Zachary, but also Nicholas and soon to be Lucas about who knows what. That not only scares me a little but also makes me have to laugh. It is true that you never know what might come out of the "mouths of babes". To be continued....

No comments: